Split Point Lighthouse Circuit Track | Aireys Inlet
Split Point Lighthouse Circuit Track
Distance: 2 kms
Time: 1 hour
The Split Point Lighthouse known locally as the “White Lady’ was built in 1891 and towers 34 metres above the coastline. A tour inside the lightstation is provided by a private operator during the day at designated times presented on a whiteboard. Contact the local visitor information centre for current times and costs.
There are several short walks with interpretive signs around this precinct. Separate from the circuit walk are two lookouts. A short track of 300 metres to a lookout over the Eagle Rock Marine Sanctuary and another lookout further west offers views over Fairhaven Beach towards Lorne.
From the lighthouse heading west is a Memorial Cairn marking the resting place of the early settlers, Thomas Pearse and his wife Martha Pearse. The path takes you down to the estuary at Painkalac Creek.
Follow the sign up Inlet Crescent to the replica building of a early settlers style Bark Hut with a playground and picnic area. Nearby the Allen Noble Sanctuary has well-structured walkways to fully appreciate the wetlands located in the centre of town. The sanctuary is home to a variety of birdlife.
Return via Inlet Crescent and up the Lighthouse Road.
The lighthouse is famous also for being in the popular children’s television series “Round the Twist.” It is also featured as the scene of a murder in Arthur Upfield’s detective novel, “The New Shoe” featuring his famous detective Napoleon Bonaparte.
Locals’ Tip: Car parking is available at the intersection of Lighthouse Road and Federal Street.
There are no special deals available at the moment but please send a booking enquiry.