Loch Ard Gorge | Port Campbell
Loch Ard Gorge
Apart from natural beauty this site is steeped with history from the night of 31 May 1878. This location saw the dramatic survival of only two young people, Eva Carmichael as a passenger and Tom Pearce as crew.
The ship on a 90 day journey and was one day from arriving in Melbourne when it struck an outer reef. Sadly over 47 perished in The Wreck of the Loch Ard with only four bodies being retrieved and buried.
Allow 2 – 3 hours to fully explore this precinct. At the main car park there is a map of the area, please note there are 3 car parking areas.
Offshore stacks, blowholes and the indescribable beauty of formations like the razorback and island arch make this precinct the one with the lot.
From September to May a colony of short tailed shearwaters (muttonbirds) inhabits the offshore stack that is Mutton Bird Island, their nightly return makes a dusk visit all the more worthwhile.
4 main trails ranging from 200 metres to 3 kms
- Geology walk – Level crushed rock and bitumen surface 900m return the loop trail including The Razorback and Island Arch.
- Loch Ard Wreck Lookout -Undulating bitumen access from the main car park to the lookout is 400m return. This walk forms part of the 1.4km Wreck of the Loch Ard Trail
- Wreck of the Loch Ard – 1.4km slight inclines on bitumen and crushed rock, narrow in places near the cemetery.
- Thunder Cave – 1.1km sealed path that forms part of the 3.2km living on the edge trail.
- Living on the Edge – 3.2 km with inclines on bitumen and crushed rock.
- Mutton Bird Island Lookout – 100m level on crushed rock to the upper deck of the viewing platform there are steps down to the lower viewing platform.
We’ve got a great selection of Great Ocean Road deals near Loch Ard Gorge.
Locals Tip: A comprehensive display of artifacts from the Loch Ard and other local wrecks is on display 7 days a week at the Port Campbell Visitor Information Centre 12 km west of the site. Visitors arriving from the west can also pick up Port Campbell National Park and Loch Ard trail maps from the centre.
There are no special deals available at the moment but please send a booking enquiry.